5/10/2005

You.

I remember times with you. Out in the country but still close to the city pavement and streetlights. Close to a major highway. With cars rushing by, we made the turnoff down the gravel road towards your house, or mansion as I liked to call it, considering it was about 3-6 times as big as my house. I anticipated seeing you again, it was just shortly after camp. We were going to a family barbecue of yours, and I was really nervous. I didn't necessarily know how to act. You drove us there, and at the time, being only about 13 I was scared of what would happen (did you have your licence?!). Anyways, we drove the escalade there, and hung out with some of your family, who were really nice to me. Some of them even joked about us going out, and at the time both of us were too silly to realize that that's what the other one wanted. I think the image that'll be stuck in my mind for a long time is the scene that came next. We were driving your expensive escalade down the gravel road as I watched the speedometer crawl from 40 to 60 to 80. We were flying by then. As corny as it sounds, I think it felt like my heart was flying too. We went back to your house, and I saw all the expensive cars you had. Holy crap, you had a lot of money. It didn't bother me though, because you never acted all high and mighty because of it. I can't remember what else we did, but my mom came and picked me up later. By then, I think I was sure that I liked you. A while later, I told Davis about this. He told me I should tell you, but I couldn't, I was too shy. So he told you for me, in an email. And it turns out you liked me back. And that was the longest relationship I've ever had, to this day. I miss you sometimes. Okay, a lot of the time....Okay, I wish I could go back and reverse our breakup and not have gone out with Brandon, but unfortunately that's not possible. You were a great person. And the few minor flaws now seem like nothing to me, but I remember that back then they seemed bigger. Big enough for me to be a little bit mad. Then you broke up with me on your birthday, and it was over. 3 months, 1 day. Over. I'd lie and say I could remember that day as clear as glass, but I can't. I just remember moderately when it ended. I guess what I'm trying to say is not that I regret what I've done, or that we both made bad choices, but simply that I miss you. And hey, some days I probably miss you as more than a friend. But unfortunately that's sort of irrelevant now. The more things change, the more they stay the same....

No comments: